When Your Passion Calls, Do You Listen?
I've been a hardworking girl my whole life; balancing college life as a FIT girl, a full-time job (I even had two at once), family, friends and anything else life can throw at me. Like everyone else in their late twenties, I felt as if I was doing a great job at balancing it all and doing what I was "supposed" to be doing. It wasn't until I got laid off from my full-time job, losing my father, and dealing with my on again, off again depression that I decided to immerse myself into another passion of mine, makeup and skincare. I didn't consider myself an artist but more so an enthusiast who loved buying makeup and watching Youtube videos daily trying to "get my life." Even with this hobby, I didn’t take it seriously until I became a Manager at Sephora.
At Sephora, I always wanted to prove to myself to be better but I didn't believe in my passions or know my purpose at the time. It wasn't until I started to ignore that little voice in my head that said that "I couldn't start a blog" did I begin to feel fulfilled on doing something that I was passionate about. So what were the voices you are probably wondering as you read this?
1. I don't have the experience voice
2. I am not as good as other girls doing this right now voice
3. Ehh it’s just an idea voice
4. I have no idea how I would start this voice
5. I would have to get a following, and I'm not sure if anyone would follow me voice
Does any of these voices sound familiar? I didn't think that at that time I was my own worst critic or pretty much stopping myself from doing something that brought me enjoyment. It may seem to some people reading this that "Oh girl it's just a blog!" but sometimes something so small can be just the leap of faith you need to take whether it is fulfilling a small dream or that boost of self-confidence to push you to believe in yourself.
With all of that said, I started The Brown Girl Beauty Guide, LLC to not only talk about skincare and makeup but to help brown girls feel included in the world of beauty. I don't want to be preachy or give typical advice, but I would advise these three things to follow your passion or to pursue your side hustle.
1. Get Out of Your Head- If you have thought about something on more than one occasion, it's definitely something that you want to pursue, start the research and look into it.
2. Just Start- I'm a perfectionist, and I don't like to do things unless they look good or I have it correctly mapped out in my head. Being a perfectionist can stop you from doing something you've been wanting to do forever. My favorite quote from my bestie is "Perfection is another way to procrastinate." I promise like with most things, you can change it later.
3. You Have The Time- This one was another one of my favorite lines to use. We all have full-time jobs for the most part. Whether it is our actual job, parenting, or being a dog mommy we all have the time, we just have to make time for it. It can be the next thirty minutes you have on your break or the hour you usually spend browsing on the gram.
So if your passion is calling you, answer and just start!
Written By Jasmin M.
EIC of The Brown Girl Beauty Guide
Instagram Handle: @Bgbeautyguide_